Monday, March 22, 2010
Made a little more progress this weekend on the RepStrap. Attached most of the MDF that will be on the frame, and i think the proof of concept build surface is going to work just fine.
This is the underside of my y-axis/build surface. It is basically just bearing supporting the carriage like a normal 4 wheeled cart. I am using 2 bearings per corner, but this could probably be reduced to 1.
The bearings i used are smaller than the fixit blocks so they were easy to mount. the support for side-to-side tray motion is provided by the slight lip of the fixit block pressed against the square rail, which you can make out in the 1st picture. So far this seems to work, there is very little wiggle in the bed, and it moved freely forward and backward. My hope is once the herringbone rack is printed and installed the tray will be further stabilized, and the tight tolerances will be less important.
Lastly, I managed to install the bottom tray that will mount the z-axis and potentially the stepper for the y-axis. I notched the MDF to allow the gear/pulley drive to clear the threaded rod on the bottom of the machine.